Sunday, February 22, 2009

Knitting for Charity- The Mother Bear Project

If you don't know about this charity, you should. It is a fabulous charity. it is also completely heartbreaking to hear.

Here I sit in my nice (by my standards) house, with a nice (minivan) car, and decent clothes. I am middle class all the way. You know there have been studies done on those that donate, and the lower class donates a good portion of their monies, time, and effort. You know the middle class doesn't think they have the money to donate. Unfortunately, but honestly, I fall into that exact catagory. Sad I know. BUT!! I am trying to change my ways. I am not a perfect being by any means, but I do try to be aware of myself and my actions. One thing I would really like to change about myself is the fact that I don't really donate, unless is benefits me. Like it helps me to get all the stuff that I don't need out of my house. Not exactly the heartfelt reason I'm looking for.

So I was shoping at my LYS and saw the Mother Bears. then I went online, and checked it out more closely. I went to motherbearproject.org

Wow, you wanna talk heartbreaking. the Bears are given to children affected, infected by HIV/AIDS. soem of these children have lost their parents, their siblings, aunts, uncles. they live eith other members of their community. It's lovely that there are others to 'care' for them, but when there are way more kids than there are adults, what kind of care are they really getting.

then! Enter the Mother Bear Project. The way the bears light up these kids faces is just amazing. For some, this is the only thing that they can really say is theirs. It is the one thing they own. It's something so small, but makes them feel so big, so loved. How can I not want to help. And HEY! I get to knit. There is my trade off factor. that's what I get out of it. Ohter than feeling like I am actually making a difference in someones' life. I do really have simple goals, really I do.

I am about half way done with my first bear. I am hoping to have him done by this time next week. I think I can do that. it all just depends of whether or not I can put down the other two projects I have going...

So I leave you with good thoughts, luscious merriment, and much obsessive yarning! Ciao for now!

No comments: